Application Deadline: June 17, 2019
Duration: July 1 – September 1, 2019 (contract position – with the possibility of extension until the end of September)
Salary: $15/hr x 35 hours/week
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program. In order to be eligible for this position, you must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Who we are
Since 2004 MT Space has been fulfilling its mandate by creating, producing, touring and presenting artistic work that reflects Canada’s cultural diversity. MT Space has maintained a commitment to working with artists from Indigenous, immigrant, refugee and other marginalized and racialized communities.
Over the years, MT Space has grown from being a company that produces one show every year to an organization that brings culturally and socially relevant work from across the country and around the world to our community of Waterloo Region. We have challenged the preconceptions of theatre to create, produce, and present work that is accessible and affordable to low income families while creating a space for Indigenous, immigrant, refugee, and marginalized voices to be heard.
MT Space challenges the definition of theatre to include all disciplines such as dance, music, multimedia, and circus performing arts. As such, MT Space is becoming a presenter of artists and arts organizations across many disciplines.
Since 2009, MT Space has been producing the IMPACT Festival, an international festival of contemporary theatre. Our 6th biennial festival, IMPACT 19, will run from September 24th to 29th, and will include 23 mainstage productions from international, national, and local artists; a 3-day industry conference; late-night entertainment; a mini-festival of street theatre and other outdoor performances; and more!
About the Position
The Young Company Program Coordinator will work with the Artistic Director and Young Company Directors to oversee the operations of the MT Space Young Company summer program. They will also work with the Conference Coordinator and Youth Conference Coordinators to assist in the organization of the IMPACT19 Youth Conference.
Responsibilities will include:
- Communicating with and engaging artists as guest workshop facilitators and mentors for the program
- Assisting with the creation of contracts for all guest artists involved in the program
- Overseeing outreach and recruitment of youth participants
- Assisting Young Company Directors with the audition process
- Attending Young Company rehearsals as needed in order to support the facilitators and to gather photos and other documentation of the process for marketing and archival purposes
- Scheduling rehearsals and booking rehearsal space
- Updating permission forms and photo release forms and ensuring that forms are collected from all participants
- Maintaining accurate records of program participant enrollment, attendance, and distribution of bus tickets
- Working with the Marketing Coordinator to assist with promoting the program and final performance, including creating and approving marketing copy and images
- Creating, distributing, and collecting program participant surveys, inputting and analyzing gathered data
- Assisting the Conference Coordinator and Youth Conference Coordinators with the organization of the IMPACT19 Youth Conference
- Assisting in securing props, costumes and other creative assets
- Other tasks as assigned
- Proficiency in English
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to be self-motivated and directed while working in a team environment.
- Familiarity and interest in contemporary theatre and/or the not-for-profit arts sector is an asset.
- Knowledge in education practices is an asset
- Previous work experience with students/youth is an asset
- Understanding of cultural pluralism and equity is an asset
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 17, 2019.
We thank everyone who applied but only selected candidates for the interview will be contacted. No phone call or walk-in inquiries please.
MT Space welcomes and encourages qualified applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Accessibility accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.