Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found
Term: Contract position, with the possibility of extension into a full-time permanent role with the company
Salary: To be negotiated
Who we are
Since 2004 MT Space has been fulfilling its mandate by creating, producing, touring and presenting artistic work that reflects Canada’s cultural diversity. MT Space has maintained a commitment to working with artists from Indigenous, immigrant, refugee and other marginalized and racialized communities.
Over the years, MT Space has grown from being a company that produces one show every year to an organization that brings culturally and socially relevant work from across the country and around the world to our community of Waterloo Region. We have challenged the preconceptions of theatre to create, produce, and present work that is accessible and affordable to low income families while creating a space for Indigenous, immigrant, refugee, and marginalized voices to be heard.
MT Space challenges the definition of theatre to include all disciplines such as dance, music, multimedia, and circus performing arts. As such, MT Space is becoming a presenter of artists and arts organizations across many disciplines.
Since 2009, MT Space has been producing the IMPACT Festival, an international festival of contemporary theatre. Our 6th biennial festival, IMPACT 19, will run from September 24th to 29th, and will include 30+ mainstage shows from international, national, and local artists; a 3-day industry conference; late-night entertainment; a mini-festival of street theatre and other outdoor performances; and more!
About the Position
The IMPACT Festival Producer reports to the MT Space Artistic Director. Working with the IMPACT Festival Artistic Director (IMPACT AD), the Festival Producer is responsible for managing and overseeing all production, marketing, and logistical aspects of the festival. This role is a contract position with the possibility of extension into a full-time permanent role with the company.
- Direct supervision of the IMPACT Festival Production Manager, Marketing Coordinator, and Logistics Coordinator
- Hiring, training, and supervising additional festival staff; coordinating and chairing regular meetings with festival staff
- Working with the IMPACT AD to negotiate, draft, and execute contracts with artists invited to the festival
- Working with the Marketing Coordinator to oversee the creation and implementation of a detailed marketing plan
- Working with the Logistics Coordinator and Hospitality Coordinator to ensure that all travel, accommodation, and hospitality needs for visiting artists and conference delegates are met
- Working with the Volunteer Coordinator to oversee the recruitment, training, and scheduling of over 100 volunteers
- Working with the Logistics Coordinator and Box Office Manager to ensure that all Front of House and ticketing needs are met
- Working with the Marketing Coordinator to ensure the success of a $30,000 crowdfunding campaign
- Attending marketing, production, and logistics meetings, and delivering regular progress reports to the MT Space and IMPACT Artistic Directors
- Managing the festival budget as set out by the MT Space Artistic Director; supervising the management of the festival production and marketing budgets
- Financial management including processing incoming invoices (A/P), generating outgoing invoices (A/R), and working with the bookkeeper to ensure complete and accurate financial records
- Ensuring that all obligations to funders are met, including but not limited to acknowledgment, data collection, and reporting
- Acting as a representative of the festival in the wider community; seeking, developing, and maintaining partnerships, sponsorships, and other important relationships as appropriate
- Developing training manuals, written policies, and other documentation to ensure that the vision, mission, and values of the festival are upheld
- Submitting a detailed post-mortem report; collecting and compiling post-mortem reports from all staff members as appropriate; planning and chairing a post-mortem meeting
- 5+ years of experience in theatre or arts management and administration, including 2+ years working in a festival setting
- Experience hiring, training, and managing a team of minimum 10 staff members
- Experience managing a budget of minimum $250,000
- Experience with fundraising and donor development is an asset
- An understanding of cultural pluralism and intercultural relationships is an asset
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until a suitable candidate is found.